Cape Weligama, part of the Relais & Chateaux portfolio, inhabits twelve tropical acres atop a singular promontory above the Indian Ocean on Sri Lanka’s southern coast, just thirty minutes east of Galle.
A collection of Villas & Suites; offering 39 bedrooms in all, create the welcoming illusion of a traditional Sri Lankan village. Yet beneath local terracotta-tiled rooftops, stylish interiors unfold as generously sized contemporary living quarters between 130m2and 310m2, each surrounded by beautiful gardens.
The Suites are in groups of four and can interconnect, ideally suiting families or friends travelling together. The Villas are set within eight stone ringed gardens, with each garden comprising of two to three freestanding Villas and a 15m swimming pool. All accommodations enjoy dining areas and spa facilities.
While a diverse range of activities are on offer, from scuba diving to surfing lessons and lake kayaking to rice paddy bicycling, you may find the greatest pleasure in simply unwinding on your private shaded terrace. The crescent-shaped infinity Moon Pool curves expansively around the cape’s edge, taking in sweeping, 270-degree blue views.
A gourmet paradise, Cape Weligama pays homage to its location with the day’s freshest catch cooked to order in the Ocean Terrace. Or sample Sri Lanka’s iconic local dishes. The cliff edge Tableau Chefs Tables Cape’s signature dining experience with daily changing menus. The Cape Club provides a relaxed, yet refined, venue for traditional afternoon cream tea, as well as to linger over sunset cocktails and after dinner nightcaps under the stars.
Accommodation at Cape Weligama is in 23 Villas and 16 Suites. 39 rooms in all. The Villas are set within eight stone ringed gardens in the upper part of the resort. Each garden comprises two to three freestanding Villasplus a 15-metre swimming pool. Imagine the intimacy of a boutique villa offering the benefits of a larger, world-class resort.
The gardens are named for a distinguished explorer or writer whose historic Ceylon journey captures the spirit of Cape Weligama. The gardens are: Ernst Haeckel – Robert Knox – Marco Polo – King Vijaya – Ibn Battuta – Fa-Hsien – Joris Van Spilbergen – Samuel Baker
- 6 x Ocean Villa – 130m2 king bed, verandah
- 8 x Premier Ocean Villa – 180m2 king bed, large verandah
- 3 x Prestige Ocean Villa – 180m2 king bed, living room, bathroom, large verandah.
- 3 x Grand Ocean Villa – 200m2 king bed, living room, large verandah
- 3 x Ocean Pool Villa (upper floor) – 130m2 king bed, living deck, 15 x 4m pool
The Suites are situated around the Cove Pool in the lower part of the resort with partial sea views. They are especially well suited to families or friends travelling together, seeking the beach villa experience for which southern Sri Lanka has become synonymous, with the added amenities and activities of a five-star resort.
The Suites are in sets of four in two-storey houses, each named after a writer/poet of old Ceylon. There are two Suites on each floor, which can be interconnected via the verandah. The houses are named Arthur C Clarke – Pablo Neruda – James Emerson Tennent – Leonard Woolf.
- 8 x Pool View Junior Suites – 130m2 2 Queen beds (can be connected to make a Super King), verandah for living and dining
- 8 x Pool View Master Suites – 150 m2 King bed, verandah for living and dining
- A breathtaking crescent-shaped infinity Moon Pool curving 60m around the cape’s summit drinks in every inch of the spectacular 270-degree coastal views. It’s equally resplendent at night when the pool’s inky surface reflects the stars and the bright luminescence of the moon.
- The generous Cove Pool, close to the Suites, meanders around an integrated 20m-lap pool and is ideal for kids.
- Also under the pool is a Cybex equipped air-conditioned gym for keeping in shape after overindulging on the resort’s mouth-watering cuisine.
- Electric buggies convey guests around the resort if they prefer not to walk.
- There are two adjacent public beaches. West Beach is accessed via a specially built cliff staircase. East Beach is next to the Adventure Centre, a 5-minute walk from the resort. A reef provides safe swimming conditions.
- The “Pola” gift shop offers a curated selection of beachwear, spices, tea, books and more.
- The Adventure Centre is staffed by professionals and is the embarkation point for all land and water-based activities. Offering first-rate PADI dive courses and exciting dives, other activities include private cruises, big game fishing, seasonal whale and dolphin-watching trips and banana boating.
The Sanctuary Spa offers 4 treatment rooms, featuring organic home-grown Sri Lankan spice scrubs made from clove, nutmeg, sweet orange and sandalwood relieve stress and naturally attend to travel-weary muscles while bespoke, essential oil massage blends incorporate Ceylon tea, renowned for its antioxidant, anti-ageing and calming properties. Unwind with a blissful massage or with a fragrant scrub followed by invigorating herbal steam treatment.
- 1 infant (up to 2 years) and 1 child (2 – 16 years) can be accommodated in a room sharing with parents, one rollaway bed and a baby cot can be provided.
- If parents would like to accommodate children in a separate room, a combination of a Junior and Master Suite are recommended. These rooms can be interconnected.
- In a Junior Suite, up to 4 children can be accommodated on twin Queen beds.
- The Cove Pool is specially designed for families with children below the age of 12 years.
- The Moon Pool is reserved for guests aged 12 years and above.
DIFFERENTLY ABLED ACCESS
- 2 rooms offer facilities for wheelchair access.